Friday, February 1, 2013

On My Way...

It's been 222 days since I left South Africa. Tonight I am going to get on a plane for a return trip. I have wanted to go back to Africa ever since the day I left.

When I came back last summer, I tried to buckle down and get serious about a job, but all I could think about was Africa. When I finally found work, I decided that I would slash expenses and save, save, save. There were some sacrifices. I stopped shopping for anything, but the essentials. I socialized less and gave up sports. I worked overtime every chance I got.

By the end of the year, I realized that I had enough for the volunteering program at Thanda. My parents saw how much I wanted to go back so they gave me the plane ticket as a Christmas present. (Nice present! Nice present!) Tonight they will drive me to the airport. The departure is very different than last time. I remember saying goodbye to both of my brothers before going to the airport. This time my little brother is away at college and my big brother will be working when I leave. I won't see either of them for a long time.

I am very away that the future is unknown. I know that I want to make a difference in the world. I have some specific goals, but I am leaving here with a completely open mind. Anything is possible. There may be sacrifices or hard times, but I'm ready for that. Somehow Africa is part of what I am supposed to do with my life. I believe this might be the biggest challenge in my life and I am as ready as I can be. I want to make the most of every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment